Advantages of custom-made mouthguards:
- made by a dental professional using an impression
- much more comfortable, as they are a perfect fit
- will not interfere with breathing or talking
- made the correct thickness to maximise the shock absorbing effect
- can be individually personalised (with wearer’s name, sports team logo, specific colours, etc).
Discuss a mouthguard with our dentists and they can have one custom-made that offers the best possible protection.
It is highly advisable to wear mouthguards anytime there is a strong chance for contact with other participants or hard surfaces, to protect teeth from trauma. A mouthguard can prevent serious injuries such as concussions, cerebral haemorrhages, unconsciousness, jaw fractures and neck injuries by helping to avoid situations where the lower jaw gets jammed into the upper jaw.
How are custom-fitting mouthguards made?
The process is very simple. The dental practitioner will need to take an impression of the mouth. A 15 minute appointment duration is all that is required for this. Two weeks later, another 15 minute appointment is necessary to issue the mouthguard and our Chatswood dentists will ensure that it fits properly and is comfortable for the wearer.