Many of our patients (and their partners!) have been grateful for a product we recommend for the elimination of VSC’s, called Closys. It is the most effective product we have found, much better than more well-known mouthwashes, and it is alcohol-free. It also comes in a toothpaste and a handy pocket-sized spray bottle.
Of course, we can all suffer from sporadic bad breath or “halitosis” by eating certain foods like garlic, onions and cheese. High protein diets and highly acidic foods and drinks can also cause temporary bad breath. If bad breath persists, it may also be associated with general oral hygiene, gingivitis and periodontal disease.
A build up of bacteria in the mouth will cause your breath to become offensive to others. Bacteria thrive on the tongue, around dentures, where there is decay of any sort, if there is gum or periodontal disease or plaque build up. Also, anything that has a drying effect on the mouth and reduces saliva, can cause bad breath, as a dry mouth is an ideal environment for bacteria to thrive.
Simple ways to eliminate bad breath:
- Good oral hygiene practices – regular brushing and flossing is essential.
- Brushing or scraping your tongue.
- Regular scale and cleans by a dentist to remove plaque and tartar and prevent them from building up.
- Treatment for gum or periodontic disease by a dentist or hygienist.
- Usage of alcohol-free mouthwashes containing chlorine dioxide (such as Closys).
- Meticulous cleaning of dentures, if used.